Daybreakers Movie Review

I had forgotten about the BiA blog almost, I would have had some good material to write about during the holiday season. But I figured this blog is about anything so I'm just going to write my opinion on Daybreakers (just saw it this weekend).

I'd give this movie a 6 out of 10. It wasn't bad, but its far from great. The premise behind Daybreakers was amazing: a world where all the normal people are vampires, and the few left are humans. Subways become main roads, mall plazas are all underground, etc. Basically society as we know it still exists but people are vampires. The driving force of the movie is the shortage of human blood supply. Humans are captured and farmed, but they are dying out. And when the vampires starve from lack of human blood for too long, they lose their human capabilities and turn into ugly supermonsters who eat other vampires. So if conditions continue as they are, the monsters take over the world and both humans and vampires are screwed...

Anyway lets get to the criticisms. I like the idea of Vampire SWAT team. But why have them if you're not gonna have awesome gun fights? There was a scene when the vampires are rounding up the monsters for extermination, and they throw flash grenades into the subways then without one gunshot it skips to the monsters bein executed via sunlight. Wheres the tactical clearing? Boooooo!... Lastly the way the storyline progresses is not believable, how does this cure even work, wtf?

There are some pros: I thought I was desensitized to blood in movies and video games, but this movie left me with some chills down my spine. The blood wasnt fake like in Kill Bill, it looked so real and nastyyyy. Graphics were pretty good.

My summary in one sentence to give you a feel for this movie: It started out better than I Am Legend, but I Am Legend ends better. Daybreakers may be worth the price of admission if you like bloody action movies and special effects, otherwise you're better off not going because as a thriller, the story sucks.

*SPOILER ALERT* The following paragraph in red is how I would have made the movie end. Don't read it until you've seen the movie! *SPOILER ALERT*

Instead of the humans have a magic blood cure to transform vampires, I would have had the 3 humans escape from the building, only to be eaten alive by the SWAT vampire. But 30 seconds after that, the subsider monsters overrun the building by the thousands and eat all the vampires. I like this because there's no fairytale ending, and theres satisfaction through justice: the vampires get what they deserve in the end.

No comments: