Reformatted my Hard Drive

I changed the template of the blog because as nice as the old one looked, it took a long time to load. I'd rather go with simpler so I switched back to classic view. Anyway now to the post.

I reformatted my hard drive because playing League of Legends was laggy on my old Pentium 4. Guess what, still laggy. I realized then that this computer was built the summer 2004 (before my HS senior year). This damn machine is over 8 years old! Anyway, because I reformatted I installed old programs that I always keep in my separate partitions. This is why I've been able to keep files from 2007. Unfortunately I don't have anything from before that because the HD wasn't partitioned yet, so lost it all during reformats. I don't really game anymore nor download random torrents, so I have no need to reformat. This is my first reformat in over two years. Back then it wasn't rare for me to reformat every break between college quarters. I lost nothing because all my music, pictures, program files, documents, etc are on the non-windows partition. I only have to re-install programs.

I highly suggest that you partition your hard drive as soon as you buy a new computer, it also gets rid of all the stupid unnecessary manufacture installed trial programs. Another tip, if you notice your computer startup slowing down over time, it's because of your programs running in the background. Here's something that will help. From the Start button, "Run" msconfig. Go to the startup tab and uncheck EVERYTHING. Now your computer is fast again.

I took a gamble and updated to Windows 7, and luckily all my drivers still work (I was prepared to give it a try, expecting to have to re-install XP). Networking is so easy on Windows 7. Now all the computers in the house have 7 and sharing is so easy. Compare that to XP, where connecting to a wireless router was easy, but network sharing was a pain. Compare XP to Windows 98/ME where connecting to a wireless router was a pain. Stuff keeps getting easier. Technology FTW!

No comments: